birding-aus

VicGroup campout scouting and a Heathwren

Subject: VicGroup campout scouting and a Heathwren
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:31:18 +1100
G'day all

I took a day off work yesterday to scout out locations for the VicGroup
camp I'm organising next year.  The camp will be somwhere near Balmoral (sw
Victoria) - possibly one of the sites on the shore of Rocklands Reservoir.
Folk can camp -  or stay in Balmoral.  We can visit places like the Claude
Austin reserve, the Black Range State Park and Jilpanger state forest.

One of the places I visited was the Dergholm State Park further west.  A
colleague said this might be a good place for the camp.  It probably would
be but it is a long way from Melbourne and alternative accommodation is not
handy.  I saw a good range of typical bush birds of the area with nothing
unusual.  Outstanding wildflowers at the moment also.

After a break at Edenhope I explored some of the state forest north of the
Edenhope-Harrow road.  I don't know the name of this forest but it also
held lots of birds.  Best were Rufous Whistler, Mistletoebird, Weebill,
Blue-winged Parrot, White-browed Babbler, Little Wattlebird, Varied Sttella
and Chestnut-rumped Heathwren.

The last was a single bird hopping around in a dead banksia and not
skulking in the heath as they usually do.

If anyone has any suggestions about good camping sites or places to visit
in the Balmoral area please let me know.

Cheers

Steve

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at