birding-aus

Distribution of Major Mitchell Cockatoos (Vic)

To: Birding_aus <>
Subject: Distribution of Major Mitchell Cockatoos (Vic)
From: J and A Flack <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:44:15 +1100 (EST)
Hi All,

I noticed a while ago that there was a thread running
about Mallee fowl near Geelong (Brisbane ranges) Vic.
I have a copy of Geelong's birdlife in retrospect, a
selection of Geelong Advertiser articles by P.J.W.
1948-1958. I found no mention of them in there, but
did see a reference to Major Mitchell Cockatoos there
in 58. A party of ten were seen, with two remaining in
the Bannockburn area to breed. Their success or
otherwise was not mentioned, only that they did not
establish in the district. Recently some were seen in
the Nth Central goldfields of Vic (Mentioned to us by
a Ballarat birdo.) I should have said that the above
book was put together by Trevor Pescott, and it is
well worth a read. Anyway, makes you wonder what the
original distribution of some of our birdlife was.

Jan Flack.

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at