birding-aus

Oriental Cuckoo ? at Killara NSW 18/11/03

Subject: Oriental Cuckoo ? at Killara NSW 18/11/03
From: Alistair Poore <>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:01:45 +1100
Alan Morris wrote:
Hi Birders,
When reading Kurtis Lindsey's decription of what be believed to be an Oriental Cuckoo on the wires at Killara I was of the view that perhaps the bird was not an Oriental Cuckoo but rather a common old Pallid Cuckoo.
 I say this for several reasons, the first is that Pallid Cuckoos are irregular visitors to Sydney, they are regular in spring to western Sydney and the Hawkesbury area and less common in the eastern and northern suburbs, so the Pallid Cuckoo cannot be ruled out because it does "not occur" as it can and occasionally "does occur". Furthermore they can breed on the North Shore and immature birds can have barred breasts.
To confirm this, I can report that there has been a Pallid Cuckoo calling for the last few weeks on the Cooks River, near Tempe Station in Sydney's inner west. This is my first record for the area.

Alistair
--
Dr Alistair G. B. Poore
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences

Phone: 61 2 9385 2154     Fax: 61 2 9385 1558
E-mail: m("unsw.edu.au","a.poore");">
Web: www.bees.unsw.edu.au/staff/academic/poore/teaching.html