birding-aus

Looking for waders

To: <>
Subject: Looking for waders
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:53:57 +1100
Hi everyone,
Recent reports of rare waders inspired me to check some local lakes here in Northern Vic and maybe get lucky.Little Lake Boort is just about dry and had 6 species,notably 100+Red-capped Plovers.
Lake Leaghur is dry but the roadside on the way made up for it with 3 Grey-crowned Babblers and plenty of Woodswallows.
Lake Meran was the big suprise.It's normally a water skiing centre but is too low for that now and had c.2000 RNAvocet,c.1500Black-winged Stilt and a few hundred Banded Stilts.
Didn't have time to go north of Kerang but the nearly dried up Fosters swamp near the sewage farm had 2 Curlew Sandpipers and 4 Pacific Golden Plovers(I had a really good try to turn one into something else!!!) amongst others.
MacDonalds swamp near Cohuna is a great spot at the moment with lots going on.Marsh Sandpipers and lots of Red-kneed Dotterels there.It looks like a great site for Painted Snipe!
So finished up happy with 12 wader species for the morning.
The Rufous Songlarks that arrived in early September around my house have fledged young.Its a relief becuase their constant songflights from 3 seperate birds was starting to drive me nuts!!!(I work at home). Now it's mainly beautiful trills and whistles all day.
Regards,Simon Starr.