birding-aus

Fire Risk

To: <>
Subject: Fire Risk
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:10:24 +1100
Dear Mr Premier

I am aware of the recent report on the disastrous bushfires of last summer
and the recommended actions to reduce future risk.  This seems to rely
heavily on more active and extensive fuel reduction throughout our reserves
and National Parks, as well as on private property.  While I understand the
need to protect life and property, I urge you most strongly to ensure that
the balance of the needs of our native flora and fauna is maintained when
authorising and implementing these recommendations.

There is absolutely no argument against the fact that the most precious
resource to be protected for the survival of our endangered native species
is natural habitat diversity.  There are numerous endangered species that
rely totally for their survival on the habitat that exists in the areas
being considered for heavier fuel reduction.  Experience has shown in the
past that such activities seriously threaten the diminishing remaining areas
of habitat.  Both planned activities and the frequent "accidents" that seem
to occur related to these activities can quickly and permanently wreak
immense damage to our natural heritage.  There is even a question whether
such fuel reduction activities have much of a positive effect on reduction
of fire risk.

Again, I urge you to take extreme care in allowing these activities to take
place and to ensure that expert, appropriate input is sought to review such
plans and advise of the threats that these activities can represent - BEFORE
they are started.  It would be an unforgivable tragedy to leave a heritage
for future generations that sees pastoral and agricultural properties
protected but has permanently lost a large part of our precious flora and
fauna.

Bob Cook
11 Tarella Court
Mildura, Victoria