birding-aus

North West Victoria

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: North West Victoria
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:47:19 +1100
Hi all

We have had a couple of great days birding with our friends "The Dam Lamb
Clan" from Maleny, Qld.  We camped at Hattah Lake (very dry) in the
Hattah-Kulkyne National Park and went to a couple of spots specifically
looking for Malle Emu-wren - unsuccessfully.  Notable species that were seen
included Mulga Parrot, Striped Honeyeater and many, many groups of Regent
Parrots.  Could not believe how many times we saw these - all over the
Southern areas of Hattah Nat Park.  Groups were from one or two up to 20 in
a flock.  I guess we would have seen them at least 15 times at approx. 10
different locations in 24 hours.

Yesterday morning we followed up on Chris Chafer's recent report from Wymlet
Tank in the Murray Sunset Nat Park.  He was not wrong about the abundant
birds there.  It is a great spot with a fair bit of water still there.  Best
birds seen in travelling 10 kms West of there were Red-lored Whistler
(either a pair or perhaps three birds), Striated Grasswren, Shy Heathwren,
Mulga Parrot (parents with two juveniles), White-winged Trillers, Rainbow
Bee-eater, Varied Sitella, Splendid Fairy-wren.  Still missed Mallee
Emu-wren.  Total 38 species in about 3 hours.

The Red-lored Whistlers were approx 8 kms West of Wymlet Tank at 34:55:18 -
141:56:47.  As this was a tick for three of the four in the group it was
rather funny to see birders excitedly dancing around in the Mallee scrub,
calling "softly" to each other ("here, I've got one", "in that tree ....
there down on the ground...no!", "here - two together") as the Whistlers,
obviously having great fun at our expense, happily circled us, stopping here
and there, playing hide and seek for about 20 minutes.  Both Golden Whistler
and Rufous Whistler were also very close by, giving us a wide range of
Whistler calls.

Bob Cook

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at