birding-aus

Trip to WA (long)

To: "Nicholas Talbot" <>, <>
Subject: Trip to WA (long)
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:59:58 +1100
Dear birders,

Nicholas Talbot wrote:-
> I've just completed my first trip to Western Australia and saw 86 species
> including 15 new ones for me in about 2 days of birdwatching. The real
> reason for the trip was a conference at a big hotel built out at
Scarborough
> (which is on the coast about 25 minutes drive from Perth CBD) with some
time
> tacked onto the end for birdwatching. Fortunately birdwatching, rather
than
> work, dominated the trip more than I expected....  (etc, etc.....).

This made great reading, Nicholas, but what a marathon trip!!
We refered to it as well as to the excellent Frank O'Connor website last
week, taking 5 or so days to look around beyond Perth (never enough time..).

Picked up some lovely birds, including those super endemics, Rufous
Treecreeper (incl. the feeding of active fledglings by both parents at mouth
of stump, at Dryandra), Red-capped Parrot (wow), and Red-eared Firetail
(another wow), plus White-breasted Robin. Splendid Wren for the first time,
as well as Yellow-plumed H.E.

Stayed two nights at Cheynes Beach and super views of Red-winged Wren and
Brush Bronzewings.Fantastic wildflowers while looking for Western Whipbird
and - Bristlebird, to no avail, even tho' reported just there days before!
Never mind, - but what was disappointing....sitting/crouching/standing
practically "on  top of" the Noisy Scrub-bird on 2 occasions (deafening,
albeit wonderfully melodious).....and never actually SEEING it!!!!!!!!
Sigh...next time...!?!

*******Would love some help on the next one please.....:-

We were on a rocky point overlooking the beach at Cheynes(east of Two
People's Bay), checking out a colony of Crested Terns, when they suddenly
and very vocally took to the air. I thought "raptor", but then an obvious
Skua/Jaeger came into view, hotly pursued by a Pacific Gull. Had them in the
binos, but "Skua" disappeared out of sight. He was a mottled grey, a heavy
looking bird, slightly smaller than the gull, and had no central
tail-feathers.Have been reading up 4 different fieldguides and Hanzab, which
textwise, shows unlikely a Pomarine Jaeger....but illustrations makes me
think juvenile Pomarine ( not slim like Arctic, and too 'small' and
off-season for Great Skua). So, any suggestions, please??????
Much appreciated, thankyou, and exciting stuff.

Peter Madvig/Beecroft.

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at