birding-aus

S.W.Qld.

Subject: S.W.Qld.
From: Mrs Julie Lynn McLaren <>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:56:14 +1000
Hello All,
I've been away for several weeks so missed any transitory migrants, which might or might not turn up.
There are a lot of Blue-bonnets about at the moment and a few days ago I witnessed an awful "blue" between two, out of a mob of 8. This full on fight went on for about 10 minutes with the underdog on the ground with the dominant one on top, absolutely bashing it. Every time the "bashee" moved the "bashor" followed it and proceeded to attack. Finally the loser walked away, with lots of feathers out of place and seemed to be fairly distressed, however, ended up flying away.
Ian saw a group of 20 Bourke's Parrots to-day, not too far from the house.We think that this is a large flock of Bourkies, is it?
As we drove home after my weeks away, and turned in over our grid, a juvenile Black-breasted Buzzard was flying just over our mail box [a 44 gall. drum], what a beautiful sight, but to cap my return to a fairly desolate scene, there were 10 Major Mitchell's calling and then landed on some of the Gum trees around the house as we pulled into our car shed. But that's not all, at about 9 p.m., just as we'd gone to bed, the most beautiful sound in the world [apart from rain falling on our tin roof] I heard Brolgas calling overhead. Maybe they were all saying "Welcome Home".
Cheers,
 Julie