birding-aus

help on id required

To: "Paul West" <>
Subject: help on id required
From: "Paul West" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:28:11 +1100
Hi there,

I dont know a lot about birds (anything at all that is) but to satisfy my own curriosity, i saw this bird in my front yard a few months ago.  A picture is located here...

I have researched a little and think its a sparrowhawk or a goshawk, it was quite tall (at least 50cm + tail), had black and white striped  chest, black head/wings and yellow legs.

This bird was scene in the suburb of north balwyn vic., about 17kn from the mebourne CBD. It made a starling change from the regular pidgeons and sparrow I usually see.

Any help would be appreciated, and can be sent to

thanks
paul.