birding-aus

Flycatcher and Thrush ID

To: Craig Doolan <>
Subject: Flycatcher and Thrush ID
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:17:35 +1000
Hi Craig

I did a short note on the thrushes for the Qld Nats some years ago.

All the Queensland Museum specimens from Brisbane Forest Park
were of the Russet-tailed Thrush and that is all that I have seen there
in many hundreds of days of surveys. (It doesn't mean that Bassian
will never occur there!)

Bassian is larger, longer-tailed with less white in the outer tail feathers.
Russet-tailed looks more "dumpy" , shorter & shorter tailed, with more
white in the tail [13-33 mm measured as entire inner vane vs 5-12 mm].

Cheers

Pete