birding-aus

Twitchathon - Cheep Trills within 15km of Melbourne

To: Birding_aus <>
Subject: Twitchathon - Cheep Trills within 15km of Melbourne
From: J and A Flack <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:26:48 +1100 (EST)
G'day Twitchathon Fans,

Our team was comprised of all first time 'thoners,
Neville and Marj Pamment, Jim Caine and myself. We all
share a keen interest in urban birding. Neville and
Marj have a good knowledge of the lower Merri
Creek/Studley Park area, Jim the Maribyrnong and the
Altona/Williamstown areas. And me - wherever the Puny
Twitch has taken me. Coincidently, we all met (apart
from Neville and Marj of course) via Birding-aus.
Originally we intended to stick to my Puny Twitch
area, but decided to extend that to within about 15km
of the CBD in order to include more waders and shore
birds. It didn't matter that we had no chance of
winning. All we wanted was a great day's birding in
good company, with as little travel as possible - we
are 'The Cheep Trills'. All of this as well as raising
some money for bird conservation can't be bad thing!

We fortified ourselves for the 'rigours' ahead by
enjoying a scrumptious breakfast whilst looking out on
the Pamment's garden, waiting for a Tree Sparrow to
appear. It never did, but that didn't seem to matter
with eggs and bacon (with all the trimmings) to enjoy.
Neville then led us around some of his favourite
haunts in the Clifton Hill/Fairfield area and we soon
had quite a respectable list. Birds included Darter,
Nankeen Night Heron (3 in the same tree), Dusky
Woodswallow and Yellow Thornbill. An Australian Hobby
also zipped past which meant we could now drop a
planned detour to Parkville where we had intended to
tick it.

>From the east to the west - we journeyed to the
Altona\Williamstown areas stopping at several sites
along the bay. As other teams have reported the wind
was, what shall we say, - bracing! But at least the
forecast rain wasn't materialising. Best birds for
this area included Striated Fieldwren, Australasian
Shoveler, Great Crested Grebe, Royal Spoonbill, Curlew
Sandpiper, Little Egret (only a few metres away - my
best view ever), Caspian and Whiskered Terns.

A leisurely trip via the Ring Road found us at the
Moonstone Walk ponds, near Latrobe Uni, to pick up the
Blue-billed Duck. Unfortunately, there was no sign of
the Little Bittern but Cattle Egret in a nearby
reserve was a real bonus.

Next stop was Banyule Wetlands, then on to finish at
Chelmsworth Reserve - both on the Yarra River. The
main pond at Banyule was a bit disappointing but the
river walks were very productive. Best ticks being
Crested Shrike-tit, Grey Currawong, Olive-backed
Oriole, Sacred Kingfisher and best bird for the day -
Azure Kingfisher. Biggest dips for the day were
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, White-faced Heron, European
Goldfinch and Great Cormorant.

Congratulations to the winning teams. Thanks to Jim
for being the chauffeur and Neville and Marj for the
lovely breakfast. And a special thanks to all those
involved in running such a fantastic event.

Total for the day was 94. With such a gruelling
schedule we were all feeling the pace after the 8
hours and looking forward to the finish line barbeque.
I think next year, with a bit of creative thinking and
a slight change in itinerary, we should be able to top
100 and still have time to stop for lunch at one of
those nice cafés in Williamstown. Only joking!
(Maybe!)

Cheers,

Alan Flack

1. Blue-billed Duck