birding-aus

Trip report from the Grampians

Subject: Trip report from the Grampians
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:53:20 +1100
Hi,
Here?s the report from my trip to the Grampians. Thanks again to the people
who provided me with suggestions on the best birding spots. I managed to
cover several different areas within the National park, two of the forests
around Stawell and a short birdwatch in Melbourne at the end of the trip.

In the Grampians I camped about 10 kms north of Halls Gap. Around the
campsite the highlights were lots of Gang Gang Cockatoo, Eastern Spinebill,
a pair of Satin Flycatcher, White-naped Honeyeater, Red Browed Finch and
some Crimson Rosellas who had learned to swoop onto picnic tables, tents and
people?s heads, in the mistaken belief that this would result in them being
fed.

On the walk from Halls Gap to the Pinnacle and back the highlights were
Common and Brush Bronzewing (my best views ever of the latter), Crescent
Honeyeater, Striated Thornbill and another pair of Satin Flycatcher as well
as an Echidna. Afterwards I found a pair of Flame Robin (feeding on the
road) and a Scarlet Robin on a drive to a nearby lookout.

On the drive towards Melbourne I stopped in the Illawarra State Forest
(between Halls Gap and Stawell) in the hope of finding Painted Honeyeater.
While I dipped on the honeyeater I did find a pair of Restless Flycatcher
and a family of White Winged Chough. A pair of raptors also chased each
other through the canopy but I couldn?t get the binoculars onto them. I then
went on to the Ironbark State Forest to again miss the Painted Honeyeater,
although I did find Brown-headed Honeyeater, Weebill and a male
Mistletoebird.

While in Melbourne I managed a quick walk along Merri Creek in Brunswick and
found an impressive array of birds including Red-rumped Parrot, Bell Miner,
Sacred Kingfisher, White browed Scrub-wren and Chestnut Teal.