birding-aus

Vic twitch 2003

Subject: Vic twitch 2003
From: simon starr <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:31:35 +1100
Four not too serious fund-raisers (The 24 hour Stints) embarked on their 3rd birdrace this weekend with high hopes and not much luck!
The two Budgies that had been residents of my garden all week left on Friday. The Peregine that appeared just before the starting time cruised around for a while and then disappeared just before starting time! And so it went on.
We started in the Terrick Terrick NP and spent an hour not seeing Hooded Robin,Diamond Firetail,Red-capped Robin,Chestnut-rumped Thornbill,Western Gerygone,Mallee Ringneck,Painted-button-quail,White-browed Babbler,White-browed Woodswallow and Jacky Winter. Thank god for the single Gilbert's Whistler who briefly filled our ears.
 A little let down we then started to get on a roll. White-backed Swallow,Cockatiel,Rufous Night Heron,Blue-faced Honeyeater and the 2 friarbirds all to plan.Spent the late afternoon at Hird's swamp where about 20 Glossy Ibis glided past,probably the nicest view of the whole event.
3 of us saw or heard Crakes independently!! Little blighters.
Darkness fell and our stomachs were complaining so spotlighting was put on hold.In fact it didn't actually happen! OOops.!
However we did manage to rise early and be in the Wychitella scrub at first light.Scrub-robins,Shy Heathwrens,Variegated Wrens and Inland Thornbills all did their stuff and further down the road the flowering Yellow Gums were attracting plenty,most notably still good nos. of White-fronted Honeyeaters there.Kooyoora state park was 'orribly quiet and we headed south without a single Robin.
A stop in Newstead was rewarding and then the Daylesford area supplied some wet forest birds before we hit Werribee for our finishing burst.Plenty to see ,sparks came from the tip of our pencil for a little while there and then it was over. 152 species,a lot less than we'd hoped for but it sure is a lot of fun trying.
Next year!!!
Simon Starr,Pyramid Hill,Vic.