birding-aus

Blue-winged Parrot, Warby Ranges near Wangaratta..

Subject: Blue-winged Parrot, Warby Ranges near Wangaratta..
From: "Michael Ramsey" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:48:55 +1100

Hi all,

On Sunday the 26/10/03 I observed two Blue-winged Parrots (BWP) in the Warby Range near Wangaratta, North-east Vic (36 14 S, 146 10 E). This sighting was totally unexpected as it is out of either the breeding or wintering range of this species. One bird was identified as female amd was observed for over 10 minutes. The sex and age of the other was not determined. I have considered the birds may be aviary escapes, however they were quite shy and seemed wild to me.

The Turquoise Parrot (TP) is regularly seen in the Warby Range as well so I observed one BWP for a period of time to confirm its identifty from a female TP. Firstly the call of TP is a high pitched peet-peet, the BWP gave a brrt-brrt-brrt call in flight. The BWP was a soft green to an olive green colour while the TP is more of a bright grassy green. The BWP parrot had a short blue frontal band that did not go past the eye, yellow was also around the eye. The TP has a blue forehead too but it has white lores.

The pair was feeding in open grassy box woodland on seeding grasses.

Michael Ramsey, Wangaratta, Vic.