birding-aus

Victorian Twitchathon 2003 - Pigeon Appreciation Society List

Subject: Victorian Twitchathon 2003 - Pigeon Appreciation Society List
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:51:20 +1100

A quick report  of our 2003 Twitchathon route:

The 'Pigeon Appreciation Society', consisting of Paul Hackett, Alex Farias, Adam Bridger and myself, entered the 2003 twitchathon for the first time(as a team), and achieved a "grand" total of 127 species.

On our way up on Friday (before the twitchathon), we stopped in at Lake Tyrell, which had a fair coverage of water. Searching the salt marsh, we came across a Rufous Fieldwren and saw about 5 others in the area. Also around were white-winged fairy wrens. A good start to the weekend.

Our twithathon started in Yarrara at 3pm on Saturday, with our first bird (and probably our best) being Crimson Chat. Also seen in the area was Gilberts and Rufous Whistler, Spiny Cheek and White Fronted Honeyeater, Splendid Fairy Wren, Southern Whiteface and Crested Bellbird. Also seen before the twitch started was a female Pied Honeyeater.

After leaving Yarrara on our way to Hattah-Kulkyne NP, we notched up around 45 species along the road, thinking we were easily going to reach our 150 goal. A stop near the Colignan salt marshes produced white-winged fairy wrens, richards pipit, and white fronted chats.  We then headed into Hattah Kulkyne NP, and after a walk up the Norwingi track in overcast and windy conditions, we gave up on our mallee-emuwren and straited grasswren search and headed to the campground. The campground produced Regent Parrot, Yellow Rosella and nesting Apostlebirds.

We saw our only pair of Major Mitchell Cockatoo's on the highway back to Ouyen.

We camped the night at Terrick Terrick, hoping for Southern Booboks, that unfortunately weren't to be heard. Best birds at Terrick Terrick were Olive Backed Oriole, Rufous Songlark and  Hooded Robin.

Our last major stop was the WTP. Highlights here were Black Falcon above T-section Lagoons, 2 Black Tailed Godwits and a group of Marsh Sandpipers at Summer Ponds 1.

Below is our list(127 species):

Apostlebird
Australasian Gannet

Australasian Grebe