birding-aus

Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] In my bottle-brush

Subject: Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] In my bottle-brush
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:41:07 +1030

Hi ,

Here in Adelaide I have observed recently at least 20 Sulphur-crested Cockatoos in a profusely flowering Callistemon ( it looked like a 'Gawler Hybrid' ).  Each bird bit through the branch just below the terminal flower and picked it up in it's left claw and proceeded to nibble away at the base of the stamens . Exactly what were they targeting as a food source ? Any ideas ?

Cheers,
Peter.

This year, or at least over the last few days, the Musk Lorikeets have won the battle of my front bottle-brush.  There seems much less aggression from the Little and Red Wattlebirds than usual.

I'm afraid I can't get anywhere near Annabel's birdlist, just;
Red Wattlebird,
Little Wattlebird and
Musk Lorikeet.