birding-aus

Identification of raptor kills

Subject: Identification of raptor kills
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:10:20 +1000
Hi All,

I am seeking to tap into the knowledge of all on birding-aus with regards to identifying likely avian predators of dead birds (or other animals such as mammals).

I recently found a dead regent bowerbird and concluded that an owl was the likely predator, probably a Sooty Owl given the size of the prey, location and habitat. The bowerbirds cranium was removed and the brain had been consumed, the feathers on the inner wing and back had been stripped and some muscle/organs removed from the dorsal of the bird. The pectoral muscles and remainder of the underside was intact (in fact the meal was really quite wasted!). I had learnt from working with the Gould's Petrel recovery team that 'entering' the prey from the dorsal surface and then 'turning the carcass inside out' is typical of owls. From the same work Peregrine falcons tended to break most of the bones of the petrel's bodies, especially the wings and strip the carcass clean. Evidence of Australian Raven predation on the petrels was through breaking of or damage to the sternum, whereas that of Pied Currawongs involved the sternum (specifically keel) remaining intact.

What I seek information from is what other knowledge people may have on clues to identifying the predator of dead birds, or the habits of avian predators in the way they process their prey.

Cheers, Dean