birding-aus

Paradise Riflebird foraging behaviour

Subject: Paradise Riflebird foraging behaviour
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:14:25 +1000
Hi All,

I was recently up in the Bunya Mountains in SE QLD where paradise riflebirds are plentiful and calling actively at the moment.

I had not much previous experience with the species but on two occasions observed an adult male foraging on old fence posts in the open, right beside a road which is bordered on both sides by cleared paddocks, the bird was within 50m of continuous closed forest however. The male approached the ground to approximately 20-30cm as it foraged up and down the fence posts.

My impression of this species was that they forage predominantly in the upper canopy, although I have observed birds foraging at mid-canopy level. Often they forage in epiphytes on trees and make a noise similar to shrike-tits foraging which helps locate them in thick and tall rainforest (!).

Has anyone else observed any similar behaviour of a riflebird actively foraging out in the open, close to the ground and away from any cover (or anything other than high up in tall trees). I am aware that at O'Reillys at Lamington NP birds sometimes come down to feeding trays but I am more interested in natural foraging behaviour. Any comments are most welcome.

Cheers, Dean