birding-aus

Australian Bustard in Western Sydney?

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Australian Bustard in Western Sydney?
From: "Reid" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:22:17 +1000
Hello all,

Please be aware, from the start, that as an amateur (very) I am not the best bird identifier in the world.

However, yesterday morning I was driving north along Mamre Road in West St Clair, and about 100 metres south of the bridge over the M4 motorway I happened to glance left into the grassed paddock on the south-west corner of the Mamre Rd/M4 intersection and there, about 80 metres from the road was what I could identify only as an Australian Bustard.

The colouration, size and stance were OK, but in the very short look I got (I was driving, after all) I got the impression that the bill was thicker and heavier that what is shown in the field guides.

Any ideas what else it could have been, anyone?  Or could this have been my first AB?

Regards

Ralph Reid