birding-aus

Eastern Creek Tip, Blacktown NSW - 19th October 2003

To: <>
Subject: Eastern Creek Tip, Blacktown NSW - 19th October 2003
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:53:57 +1000
Around midday today, I surveyed the Eastern Creek Rubbish Tip (approx 40km west of Sydney CBD) and saw 4 species of raptors -a Black Falcon, 6 Whistling Kites, an adult White-bellied Sea-eagle and an Australian Kestrel. I  had one of my best views of the Black Falcon as it whizzed very close to me at eye level where I could clearly see the pale bases to the primaries in the underwing (a feature not clearly seen from afar) and its facial features. The Falcon then landed on the ground on edged of the tip where it stayed for about 10 minutes (apart from moving a few metres when the Ravens disturbed it). I can't go past without seeing the Black falcon at this tip!

Also another interesting sighting was a single male White-browed Woodswallow (its bold white brows was easily seen as it wasn't too high up) calling and flying overhead.

There is currently quite a number of Scarlet Honeyeaters in the Blacktown area including at least one heard at the Eastern Creek Tip. Both Calistemons (Bottle Brushes) and Grevilea Silk Oaks are in good bloom.

Edwin Vella