birding-aus

What is this Plover? Wader ID help

To: <>, <>
Subject: What is this Plover? Wader ID help
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:52:48 +1000
Hi Chris,

Great photos, thoroughly enjoyed them.  Would have loved one full
side-on of the sandplover but appears from bill size, proportion to
head, leg length to body that it is a Lesser.  The others are definitely
red-capped and sharpie as Stuart makes reference to.

Cheers, keep on snapping !

Paul

Paul Rose
Year 9 Purple Team
Department of Biology and Chemistry
Wesley College - Glen Waverley
620 High Street Road
Glen Waverley  3150
(03) 9881 5426

>>>  10/10/03 12:37pm >>>
I was in Cairns last month and did some birding at the north end of
the
esplanade.  A few birds presented ID problems, though I think I'm
pretty
close with the ID.  Could any wader experts have a look over the
photos
that are linked below for me to confirm ID.  I think I have a wood
sandpiper and a lesser sand plover there.  The other plover does not
look
like a red capped at least in my field guide, but looks more like a
Kentish
with the pronounced black shoulder band, a full black line below the
red
cap and the white band below that extending well behind the eye, above
the
black band that extends from the bill through the eye to join up with
the
black shoulder band.   I'm pretty sure the 2 views I have are of the
same
bird but can't guarantee it.  I saw other birds nearby (100 m away)
which
looked more like red capped plovers depicted in the field guide.  Any
help
appreciated.  Could you reply to both my email addresses if possible
please

regards,

Chris Ross

http://www.hostmysig.com/data/chrisx2/Plover1.jpg

http://www.hostmysig.com/data/chrisx2/plover2.jpg

http://www.hostmysig.com/data/chrisx2/LesserSndPlover.jpg

http://www.hostmysig.com/data/chrisx2/WOODSA~2.JPG
*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ***

This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may
contain confidential or legally privileged information or both.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistransmission. If you receive this correspondence in error,
please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this

Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
states them to be the opinions of Caltex Australia Limited or one
of its subsidiaries (collectively the "Caltex Group").

Neither the sender nor the Caltex Group warrants that any
communication via the Internet is free of errors, viruses,
interception or  interference. Information is distributed without
warranties of any kind.