birding-aus

Magpie kills starling

Subject: Magpie kills starling
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:32:52 +1000
G'day all

I heard a great commotion outside this morning with all the birds in the area most agitated. Thinking raptor, I went out and found an adult magpie standing on the middle of our street with a Starling in its claws. It pecked the starling to death then flew away with it in its beak. There are lots of newly fledged starlings around at the moment but this one looked like an adult with glossy plumage. I've not heard of this behavour from magpies before but it would be great if the local maggies were able to make an impression on the startling population down this way.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic