birding-aus

Help with ID of raptor seen in Europe please

Subject: Help with ID of raptor seen in Europe please
From: "Tim Bawden" <>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:49:55 +0000
Hi all

Have just returned from a non birding holiday in Europe but still managed to
see a number of good birds none the less. Amongst those i couldnt id, mostly
due to inexperience or lack of a conclusive view was an Elanus type kite near
Barcelona, quite similar to a black shouldered kite except perhaps a bit greyer
but still typically distnctive. It isnt covered in the field guide I have which
was more for northwest europe. If anyone could reply to me off list what it is
likely to be I would be very appreciative. Will write a little more when I have
had some sleep ;-) (And waded through 500 odd birding aus emails!)

TIA, Cheers
Tim