birding-aus

Threatened birds recommended for listing - Vict.(Aust.)

To: wendy <>, Lawrie Conole <>,
Subject: Threatened birds recommended for listing - Vict.(Aust.)
From: jilldening <>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:53:19 +1000
  wendy  1/10/03 11:55 AM
> Having actually worked at close hand with the EPBC referral process I am VERY
> cynical about its value also. Yes there is a process set down in law that can
> be used but ultimately the decission is entirely political NOT scientific.
Hi All,
Wendy's story makes me so sad. It also makes one wonder how the EPBC Act
ever got its head up at all. It's pretty sad when one has to take to the
barricades to seek enforcement of a law in the face of illegal or tricky
activity by the enforcers of that law.  Well, that's how Wendy's story
portrays the issue, and we have to assume that it is correct.

However, I think we are better off WITH the EPBC Act than we were before it
came on board. Sure there are the attempts to get around it at any cost. But
there are also many entities out there which are now aware of the act and
its requirements, and who take action,  never known to the authorities, to
ensure that their development applications obviate any conflicts that might
otherwise arise. And I see this increasing. It is cheaper to talk early at a
table than later in court.

Last night, at a meeting, we discussed one such matter. The future applicant
is seeking help in an area which might cause conflict down the track, and I
am certain that this is purely EPBC-driven. The future applicant seeks first
to find out what environmental matters might be of concern, so that when it
comes to the time of actual application for development, it understands what
the issues are, and can attempt to manage them. Some years ago, this
consultation might never have occurred, and the development might have gone
ahead to the shouts and threats of concerned citizens. Now, by coming
together in an atmosphere of calm and clear will to investigate, there is an
opportunity to educate the future applicant, and to turn the situation into
a win instead of a loss. At the very least I would hope that there is the
chance of it being neutral.

Despite all the continuing intent of some to destroy the natural habitat and
therefore its inhabitants, I remain optimistic that we will have more and
more of these quiet, good outcomes in the future.

And the good thing is that we all die. Good people die, and bad people die.
And we are replaced with a new breed who are open to learning the new
thinking. There is always hope.

Cheers,

Jill
--