birding-aus

Terrick Terrick Nat Pk & Plains Wanderers

Subject: Terrick Terrick Nat Pk & Plains Wanderers
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:17:39 +1000
Martin O'Brien wrote:

> Callitris woodland but the Plains Wanderers have been recorded (I believe)
> from the adjacent native grasslands which are now part of the park.  There
> have been no recent reports of the PW that I am aware of at this locality.

This is mostly correct - the NE section is the relatively new grassland area
added to the park.  The most recent PW there that I'm particularly aware of is
the one we recorded there during the 2001 Twitchathon!  There are however
regular surveys conducted (Chris Coleborn might be a useful contact), and PWs
are regularly recorded as far as I know.  On our footslogging 2001 'Thon
effort, we also saw Stubble Quail, Brown Songlark, Singing Bushlark, Little
Button-quail and Australian Pratincole - fabulous grassland!

Surveys from vehicles (the usual method) are quite intrusive and potentially
damaging to both the habitat and some of its inhabitants (rare birds, reptiles
& mammals).  For this reason Parks Victoria will not allow unfettered vehicle
access to this grassland (and rightly so).  We recorded our PW whilst
spotlighting on foot - a less successful but also low impact method!  Also - I
don't know how much of the recent rainfall has fallen at the Terricks, but
access to some areas there is likely to be tricky if they've had much rain.

Go gently, and consult Mark Tscharke (Parks Vic) before charging in to the
grassland!

L.

=================================
Lawrie Conole
Senior Ecologist
Ornithology & Terrestrial Ecology

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail:
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information
intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or forward without permission.