birding-aus

Wellington Point birding

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Wellington Point birding
From: "Craig Doolan" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:58:54 +1000
I led a bird walk through the Station Street Wetlands at Wellington Point
(southern suburbs of Brisbane) on the weekend and despite a healthy turn out or
23, still managed to see quite a bit, including great views of a pair of Brown
Goshawks and Pacific Bazas and a pair of Speckled Warblers.  Also a good
sighting was a Collared Kingfisher although Mangrove Gerygone and Honeyeater
eluded us.  Saw good numbers of Variegated and Red-backed Fairy-wrens with much
of the population in breeding plumage.  The following list covers Saturday and
a preparation trip I did a couple of days earlier.  I found two separate Brown
Goshawk nests, both with a pair of birds attending.

White-faced Heron
Great Egret
Cattle Egret
Royal Spoonbill
Australian White Ibis
Magpie Goose - 3 flying past
Australian Wood Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Pacific Baza - 2 flying over and calling, being harassed by Pied Butcherbirds
Black-shouldered Kite
Brown Goshawk - 2 separate nests found, each with a pair of birds attending
White-bellied Sea-eagle
Masked Lapwing
Bar-shouldered Dove
Crested Pigeon
Spotted Turtle-dove
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Galah
Rainbow Lorikeet
Pale-headed Rosella
Pheasant Coucal
Laughing Kookaburra
Sacred Kingfisher
Collared Kingfisher - a single bird in the mangroves
Welcome Swallow
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Eastern Yellow Robin
Rufous Whistler - very common at the moment
Grey Shrike-thrush
Spectacled Monarch - a single bird in Grey Mangrove
Leaden Flycatcher - particularly common on High Tide Island
Grey Fantail
Eastern Whipbird
Tawny Grassbird - common in tall grass in railway land near the entrance
Variegated Fairy-wren - common
Red-backed Fairy-wren - common
Speckled Warbler - two birds, possibly nesting, on the edge of mangroves and
dry woodland
White-throated Gerygone
Noisy Miner
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-throated Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Mistletoebird
Striated Pardalote - a bird carrying nesting material into a hollow in the bank
of a depression in the saltmarsh
Silvereye
Double-barred Finch
Olive-backed Oriole