birding-aus

Eaglehawk Neck (Tasmania) Pelagic - 21 September 2003

Subject: Eaglehawk Neck (Tasmania) Pelagic - 21 September 2003
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:13:06 +1000
EAGLEHAWK NECK BOAT TRIP - 21 September 2003

GROUP:        Barry Bucholtz, Lisa and Peter Cockram, Allan and Rob Benson,
              Ian and Tess Fletcher, Chris and Rosemary Lester, Jann and
              Ross Mulholland, Colin Rogers, Bill Wakefield, David Webb.
VESSEL/SKIPPER:       Pauletta / John Males, with Michael Males.
WEATHER:      Cloudy through most of the day with a shower on the way home.
              Moderate NE wind of 15 knots early then freshening to 25
              knots at the second stop.  Change at lunch-time with a 30-35
              knot W wind on the way back.
SEA:          Initially, choppy sea of 1.5 m with swell of 1 m in the
              morning.  At second stop, choppy sea of 2 m with 1 m swell.
              At third stop, 2 m chop with 1.5 m swell.
ACTIVITY:     Sailed 07.25.  Headed ENE from Pirates Bay in to the NE chop,
              passing the two Grey Fantails, to the first stop at 09.30 at
              42(superscript: o) 59.3'S 148(superscript: o) 16.0'E, nearly
              1 nm past the shelf in 140 fathoms with water temperature at
              11.7(superscript: o) C.  We saw White-headed Petrel and had
              two sightings of Southern Fulmar as we circled the berley
              trail for 1.5 hours.  Continued further out until 11.30
              Stopped at 3.5 nm past the shelf in 550 fathoms (12.3
              (superscript: o )C) at 43(superscript: o) 01.6'S 148
              (superscript: o) 18.3'E.  Another sighting of Southern Fulmar
              and the Grey Petrel here again as we circled the berley trail
              - we kept moving as it was too choppy to stop.  The third and
              last stop was at 12.30 at 43(superscript: o) 03.5'S 148
              (superscript: o) 14.7'E in 120 fathoms (12.0(superscript: o)
              C).  Travelled in early against the W chop without stopping
              and docked at approx 14.30.
ANIMALS:      One unidentified dolphin.
BIRDS:        Good numbers of birds with a good diversity.  The highlights
              of the day were three sightings of Southern Fulmar and the
              Grey Petrel, which we found sitting on the water.

>From the boat:
Common Diving-Petrel  10 (1).
Southern Giant-Petrel       1.
Northern Giant-Petrel       4 (3).
SOUTHERN FULMAR     3 (1).
Cape Petrel         30 (7).
Great-winged Petrel 50 (18).
WHITE-HEADED PETREL 3 (1).
Fairy Prion         100 (25).
White-chinned Petrel  2 (2).
GREY PETREL         1.
Sooty Shearwater    1.
Short-tailed Shearwater     100 (30).
Wandering Albatross 8 (4).
Royal Albatross     3 (3).  1 Northern RA and 2 Southern RA.
Black browed Albatross      3 (1).
Shy Albatross       50 (20).  1 race salvini
Yellow-nosed Albatross      30 (7).
Buller's Albatross  2 (1)
Grey-backed Storm-Petrel    8 (1).
Australasian Gannet 11 (8).
Black-faced Cormorant       15.  In Pirates Bay.
Sooty Oystercatcher 1. Inshore
Pacific Gull        5. In Pirates Bay
Kelp Gull           17. In Pirates Bay, except for 2 just outside.
Silver Gull         31. In Pirates Bay
Crested Tern        10 (3).
White-fronted Tern  10 (5).
Grey Fantail        2 (1).  Both several nautical miles out heading west to
                    shore.

Final 2003 Trip:  23 November.