birding-aus

NW NSW trip

Subject: NW NSW trip
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:05:54 +1000
Hi All
Some time ago I requested assistance for a proposed trip to what I termed
was the "NW NSW area" of Glen Innes, Armidale, Connabarabran,
Warrumbungles, Narrabri area. I received some very helpful advice from
several respondents - thanks, Guys, appreciate your information very
much. I was also 'corrected' and advised I was not actually visiting NW
NSW but "a more coastal aspect" and a more eastern area than I had
described....
As they say "whatever", however, I humbly apologise for misdescribing the
area and for whomever I may have upset offer my deepest condolences.
As it turned out the birding was not as exciting as I had hoped - more
due to the fact that I did not have as much time to bird as I'd hoped and
that the trip was extended in distance due to an unknown quantity known
as Agquip - the biggest farm machinery expo in the southern hemisphere,
we were told!
In the end we stoped at Glen Innes for 2 days, then went to Gloucester
and visited Barrington Tops Nat Park (not planned) - returned to
Coonabarabran and the Warrumbungles as that vicious wind ripped thru the
area then home via Mt Kaputa Nat Park and Inverell.
Main highlights for me (though some may find this boring)-  Goldfinches
at Glencoe (south of Glen Innes), a Swamp Harrier and male Musk Duck at
Little Lake Llangothlin (north of Armidale), Red Wattle bird at
Barrington Tops (about the only bird we did see there all day),
Buff-rumped Thornbills and a single very quick, almost untickable Spotted
Quail-thrush at Warrumbungle NP, Black Kite over Narrabri and
Yellow-plumed Honeyeater at Mt Kaputa. Also had a single Emu north of
Armidale that I thought may be a little unusual so far east. (Had one
between Gunnedah and Coonabarabran also.) Lots more Red-rumped Parrots
than I expected and fewer Corellas and Cockatoos. Did have a look at
Beardie's Lake near Glen Innes - looks intersting does anyone check this
spot regularly? and Dangar's Lagoon south of Urualla. Tried to turn Aust
Grebe into Hoary Headed but no luck at either location. Severe lack of
Robins too - but I was probably not anywhere long enough or looking hard
enough. Searched at specified location on Mt K road from Narrabri - but
no sign of any Regent Honeyeaters.
No commercial interest but if you are thinking of going to Mt Kaputa NP
and want a place to stay we found Dulcemia Cottage. It's about 20 kms
short of the NP, a cottage on a farm, run by 'Pat'. Very cute (the
cottage that is!), $60 per night, self catering. You would have the run
of the property behind the farm too, which has promising bush to explore.
Good option if the cabins in the park are booked out and you don't want
to camp.
Nice trip and interesting scenery  - despite not being North West. Must
return some day - Warrumbungles deserves more and Mt Kaputa really
fascinating.
Thanks again for the help and advice. I'll be more careful when I ask in
future.
God help us.
--
  Colin Reid