birding-aus

Karumba

Subject: Karumba
From: "Mike Clarke" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:57:10 +0100
Hi

Forgive me for posting to the whole group, but I remember an RFI going out a little while ago from someone asking about recent info from Karumba, but I no longer have the message.

I was out there a few days ago and saw the following species

Sarus cranes and brolgas plentiful on marshland as approach Karumba - also several australian pratincoles and singing bushlarks. There is also a pool on RHS as you almost get to Karumba and this had red-necked avocets.

In Karumba I stayed at a caravan park near Karumba Point (turn right c1km before getting into Karumba town itslef). Opposite the park was a dirt track leading to mangroves on the rhs of the airstrip. Along this I had red-winged parrot, rufous-chinned honeyeater, australian bustard, yellow white-eyes. Upon reaching the mangroves I had broad-billed flycatcher, mangrove geryygone, mangrove grey fantail, rufous whistler and a male and female white-breasted whistler. All these birds came into pishing. Worth noting that there are crocs in the area so you shouldn't actually go into the mangroves - I just looked in from the beach. There were also 6 rajah shelducks along a creek, and a red-backed kingfisher in town. I didn't see or hear zitting cisticola, but never really looked as get plenty of these in Europe! Also I never saw red-headed honeyeater, which I thought were meant to be common in the area.

Hope this helps whoever asked - if you need any more info drop me a line.

Mike