birding-aus

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos South Gipps. Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos South Gipps. Victoria
From: "Max Boyd Richards" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:13:06 +1000
Aaron wrote
"Hi all,
        just a quick email regarding the sighting a colleague and l made
yesterday heading back from South Gippsland, Victoria.  We were amazed to see a
huge flock of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos (approximately 150-180 birds)
flying over the bare hills at Loch, approximately 16 kilometres north west of
Korumburra, ............"

My wife and I bought a small property on the barish hills between Korumburra
and Leongatha  (South Gippsland - Victoria) in April this year.  Whilst we are
by know means expert birdos  (we still scurry for the books when we see a bird
we are not familiar with) we have both been surprised at the relatively large
number of yellow tailed black cockatoos. It is not unusual to see them on our
weekends down there.  In June and July we were regularly visited by flocks of
between 30 -50 YTBC's landing in the pines and cypresses that divide our
paddocks and you are right Aaron it is an impressive sight

Despite the bare paddocks, which were cleared many, many years ago for grazing
our list grows weekend by weekend.   Maybe with arrival of spring we will see
many more.

Thank you to all who provides such inspiring tales and sightings, we learn so
much from you guys

Max and Jocelyn Boyd Richards