birding-aus

Roosting Frogmouths - SE Melbourne

To: Mike <>
Subject: Roosting Frogmouths - SE Melbourne
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:25:29 +1000
Hi Mike

Re Tawny Frogmouths roosting in introduced trees.

Here in the City of Bayside, SE Melbourne Vic, we have
records of birds roosting in these introduced trees:

Jacaranda (from Argentina)
Cypress (main nest tree for about 5 years) origin the US of
A (not Brazil)
Silky Oak (Grevillea robusta)

The last is a rainforest tree from around the NSW/Qld border
and becoming scarce there.  Here in SE Oz it attracts birds
and the BOC did a study with SGAP about the birds using it.
Sure lots of honeyeaters etc. but I know of no other
Australian plant that feeds so many introduced birds (mainly
Starlings and Mynas) and may promote larger local birds such
as Red Wattlebirds and ravens.

But we also have a record of Willy Wagtail nesting in this
plant.

I guess none of the above is deciduous, native or not so.

Michael Norris
Hampton, Victoria  38° 56' S  145° 1' E