birding-aus

New bird for Passerine Park

To: <>
Subject: New bird for Passerine Park
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:40:16 +1000
What better father's day present than a new species (number 142) for our home list. I was called to the kitchen this morning by an excited wife to be greeted by the sight of an Emu wandering around our paddock. On our list of possibilities for new birds for our property, Emu would have come in at about 300th. On our recent six week trip through NSW, Vic and SA we had to wait till somewhere south of Narrandera before seeing any Emus and now we have one in our own backyard. This bird appears to be somewhat tame and came walking up to me when I called our horse for her breakfast. The poor horse doesn't know what to make of this strange beast that has invaded her space and is giving the Emu a wide berth. The Emu has some old injuries; no feathers on the back of its neck and a large bare patch on one flank. It appears to be otherwise in reasonable condition,, although it spends a lot of time engaged in what appears to be feather plucking, with its beak. Do Emus get mange, or is it likely to be carrying parasites? What is the natural diet of Emus? It will eat bread but this is probably not the best food for Emus and we would like to help it out a bit if we can. Now I have to go for a walk around the property to find how it got in and fix the break in the fence, if any. Any advice on the proper care of Emus appreciated.
Paul Osborn
Cooranbong NSW
30 02S 151 25E