birding-aus

sec: unclas Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Bronze-cuckoos

To: <>
Subject: sec: unclas Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Bronze-cuckoos
From: "Tania Ireton" <>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:23:36 +1000
There's a terrific book about this called "Cuckoos, Cowbirds and other Cheats"
which covers this whole topic - quite fascinating.  I can't recall the author
at the moment but I got the book from Andrew Isles Bookshop.

Regards,

Tania

>>> jilldening <> 3/09/03 9:45:24 >>>
  Bill Jolly  2/9/03 5:20 PM

> Only yesterday (1st September), I was watching two poor little Brown
> Thornbills being run off their feet by the demands of a plump fully-fledged
> young Horsfield¹s Bronze-cuckoo.

Bill's posting makes me wonder: have parasitic cuckoos ever been observed to
raise their own young? Are they capable of building a nest, and if not, why
not? If they ever built nests and raised their own young in times past, I
wonder how far back they abandoned the practice. I don't expect anyone will
be able to answer this, but it's an interesting question to me.

Cheers,

Jill

--
Jill Dening