birding-aus

WA Trip Part 4

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: WA Trip Part 4
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:42:33 +1000
Morning all

DAY THREE

This morning we visited a small dam near our overnight campsite and watched Budgerigars and Zebra Finches coming in to drink. A Black-fronted Dotterel was also patrolling the edges.

After breakfast we drove into Wolfe Creek Crater for a look. Created by a meteorite around 300,000 years ago it is like a miniature Wilpena Pound. A rim all around the outside and when you climb down it is relatively flat and full of vegetation as water collects here during the wet season. It is dry at the moment.

Bird highlights here were great scope views of a pair of Major Mitchell Cockatoos feeding on the nuts of Eucalyptus terminalis. (Please excuse any spelling errors when I mention anything botanical, not my strong suit I?m afraid!)

Both White-winged and Red-backed Fairy-Wrens were present around the car park and seeing a male of each species in the same bush was stunning.

We continued south to the aboriginal community of Billiluna, where we saw several Little Corellas roosting under a high water tower enjoying the shade. Just south of here we saw our first of many Grey-headed Honeyeaters feeding on flowering Grevillea's and Hakeas.  Around 35 kms west of Balgo a group of 12 Little Crows were seen by the roadside.

At Balgo we refuelled with news that Mulan was out of diesel for two days, so we push on through Mulan, travelling to the southwest to camp around Lake Gregory for 2 nights. As we arrive at Lake Gregory just on dark several Brolga, Australian Bustards and thousands of water birds were flying around. This wet our appetites for what the morning would bring. Speaking of appetites, again dinner was a culinary delight.

A relatively quiet days birding, number of species wise, with only 32 seen.

Straw-necked Ibis

Whistling Kite
Brown Falcon

Brolga