birding-aus

Sulphur-crested Cockatoos colouration - Photos

Subject: Sulphur-crested Cockatoos colouration - Photos
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:13:02 +1000
A few years ago I started regularly noticing Kookaburras in my local area
with orangey breasts. This had me puzzled for a while but then I found one
bathing in wet clay in the bottom of an embankment. It appears they did
this so much that they had created a round depression where the wet, orange
clay pooled.

You sometimes see a similar staining on Little Pied Cormorants, according
to Pizzey from impurities in the water.

I'm not saying that staining is necessarily the case with Peter's cockatoo,
but it came to mind.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets