birding-aus

Black Falcon at Eastern Creek Tip - 24th August 2003

To: <>
Subject: Black Falcon at Eastern Creek Tip - 24th August 2003
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:53:54 +1000
Late this afternoon, I decide to go for a short drive to our local waste tip 5 minutes from home, to see what raptors may be out and about (I am hoping to repeat the success with raptors from my recent visits to the East Maitland Tip over the past year or so). Unlike the East Maitland Tip, I do not have access to go inside the actual tip but was able to see a number of birds from outside. The first raptor I saw after arriving about 3:30 pm was a Black-shouldered Kite doing its typical hovering, than one or two Whistling Kites and then the best of them all, a BLACK FALCON seen twice showing its unmistakable form and seen having a go at a Magpie. This is another Sydney tick for me and also a tick for my local shire list (Blacktown). As Black Falcons readily accept carrion and thus attracted to tips, I hope that there is a resident breeding pair of this uncommon falcon at Eastern Creek. The surrounding area of the tip is mainly wide expanses of lightly treed paddocks, ideal hunting ground for Black Falcons and other raptors.

Black Falcons probably turn up every year in the Sydney area (especially the Hawkesbury area) but I would not be surprised that there are one or more breeding pairs around in western Sydney.

Edwin Vella