birding-aus

Woodlands Historic Park (near Melbourne Airport)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Woodlands Historic Park (near Melbourne Airport)
From: "Lyell" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:29:03 +1000
Hi All,
    On an absolutely glorious Melbourne day, 20 people had a casual morning stroll through a small area of the Back Paddock of the above park, followed by a very relaxed lunch sitting in the sun at the Somerton Road picnic area. Another wander along the Moonee Ponds Creek in the afternoon finished off a very pleasant  days birding!.
Not a great many birds were seen and a few of those were only seen on the early morning recon by Ian and myself, but there were some memorable moments.
In the Back Paddock, the Red-capped Robins always delight. Also here we watched Striated Pardalotes flying into a hollow in a dead tree alongside the track from the gate to the first intersection.  Earlier in the day, we watched as a pair of Tree Martins gave a Starling the 'move on' from the same dead tree.  Wood Ducks were investigating any reasonably sized hollow whilst Varied Sittellas worked through the area.
But the highlight was when one of the group found 2 Tawny Frogmouths snuggled up in the fork of a tree.  Always a good find.
Some saw an Echidna, but as we were strung out like 'Browns Cows" those up the front missed out on that sighting.
Whilst having lunch a Willie Wagtail kept us entertained with his continual attacking of a Little Raven.
Flame Robins were seen near the gate at the beginning of the Homestead Walk.
No Wattlebirds or Noisy Miners!.  One (1) Welcome Swallow!

Full list below.
Australian Wood Duck
Pacific Black Duck
White-faced Heron