birding-aus

Maleny sightings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Maleny sightings
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:20:34 +1000
Have had some interesting observations on our property in recent times.Eastern Whipbirds are a constant for us here, more visible at this time of the year with lots of chasey going on.But last week I saw a whipbird attempting toact like a fantail.It was hovering and spiraling up the ded outside leaves of a bannana tree, disturbing the leaves with its beak whilst hovering, wings going madly, tail spread.Every now and then it must have got too much and it would rest inside the leaf, then reappear and continue up the tree.I suspect it was after insects and spiders, the latter of which are regularly found in bannana trees.
       We also had a pair of Pied Monarchs two weeks ago, only the second sighting in our 9 years here. the first being on a Christmas Day a couple of years ago.Some folk manage to see them regularly ,but for me they are always a special bird.Eastern Spinebills have appeared, and we now have large (upwards of 40) flocks of Red-browed Firetails moving through.We have had beautiful male Regent Bowerbirds and abrightly coloured male Rose Robin, with a Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring over the Witta hills to the west, and a white-phase Grey Goshawk being pursued by Pied Currawong below verandah height through our gully.

 And it isn't even Spring!

       Bird-on,
                  Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ