birding-aus

Elegants with orange

Subject: Elegants with orange
From: "jade welch" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:56:54 +1000

Hi All,

Last night i recieved an email from a non-birding friend reguarding two pairs of Orange-bellied Parrots (advertised as Elegant Parrots) in the local pet shop down the road from me. I replied to the message saying that although i didn't think the birds were Orange-bellied Parrot believing they were in fact either Elegant or Rock Parrot I would check it out. After entering the Pet shop i found that the birds were infact Elegant Parrots as stated on the 4 sale sign and that the males had around a thumb print size mark of Orange near their vent. Could this be why some people confuse wild Elegant Parrots with Orange-bellied parrots? Also is this Orange Spot on the Elegant Parrot a natural occurence and if so does it occur on the male only? Thanks for your help.

Yours Sincerely
Mr Jade Welch
Gold Coast,
Queensland

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. 30MB of storage on ninemsn Groups - great for sharing photos and documents. Sign up now Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line) to