birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoos in NSW

To: Alan Morris <>
Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoos in NSW
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:21:21 +1000
Two Channel-billed cuckoos were flying past the Cook's River bridge at Arncliffe last Friday (8/8) p.m.  A brief sighting only, as I was in heavy traffic, but there was no mistaking them.
John Clifton-Everest

Alan Morris wrote:

Hi Birders,I was interested to hear that Belle says that she can hear a Channel-billed Cuckoo near her place on the South Coast of NSW. This would be very unusual because Channel-billed Cuckoos are regular summer migrants in NSW arriving in mid to late September and departing around February. The Narooma-Bega area represents their normal southern limit in NSW, so to have one calling dowm there at present would  be unexpected although in recent times I remember that there was an early South Coast rcord in August. Alan MorrisRecords OfficerBirding NSW

--
Associate Professor John M. Clifton-Everest
Department of Germanic Studies