birding-aus

Trip report Queen Mary Falls area, Main Range, SEQld. Aug 3,4,5, 2003

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Trip report Queen Mary Falls area, Main Range, SEQld. Aug 3,4,5, 2003
From: jilldening <>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:18:35 +1000
Hi Everyone,

I've just been away for three days of birding, staying at Queen Mary Falls
(QMF), which is just south-east of Cunningham's Gap in the Main Range,
SEQld. Below are three lists.

1: birds seen at QMF NP.
2: birds seen between QMF and State Forest gate (locked) at Emu Valley (28º
13.06') - most birds recorded in the valley.
3: birds seen between QMF and road end of Swan Valley (28º 07.14'), then on
to the Cunningham Hwy - most birds recorded in the valley.

I went with my husband, James Hall, and friends Joyce and Ivan Fien. We
stayed in cabins at QMF, and found them to be well-equipped and comfortable
at $75 per cabin for two people.

On the way to QMF, we travelled through the Condamine Gorge, which is just
beautiful, but the lists below do not included the birds seen there. I'd
recommend the trip through the gorge, but be aware, there are around 12 or
15 shallow creek crossings on stony beds. The Emu and Swan valleys are
agricultural in the lower parts, grazing in the middle to upper, until they
both run into the high rainforests and wet eucalypt forests of the main
range. The landforms are spectacular along each valley.

Highlights of the trip for me were Red-browed Treecreeper, Speckled Warbler,
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater, Common Bronzewing and Musk Lorikeet; nesting
Varied Sitellas, the repertoire of Albert's Lyrebird and a full coloured
male Rose Robin.  I was also thrilled to hear the mournful single note call
of the Fantailed Cuckoo, and to learn one call of the Speckled Warbler. We
saw or heard 108 species, and probably averaged about a hundred species each
day.

Cheers,

Jill

1:Queen Mary Falls 35 species seen or heard

Australian King  Parrot
Blue-faced Honeyeater
Brown Gerygone
Brown Thornbill
Crimson Rosella
Eastern Rosella
Eastern Whipbird
Eastern Yellow Robin
Fantailed Cuckoo
Galah
Golden Whistler
Grey Fantail
Grey Shrike-Thrush
Kookaburra
Lewin's Honeyeater
Magpie
Noisy Miner
Olive-backed Oriole
Pale Yellow Robin
Pied Butcherbird
Pied Currawong
Red Wattlebird
Red-browed Finch
Satin Bowerbird
Spotted Pardalote
Striated Pardalote
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Superb Fairy-Wren
Torresian Crow
Variegated Wren
Welcome Swallow
White-browed Scrubwren
White-naped Honeyeater
White-throated Treecreeper
Yellow-faced Honeyeater

2. Queen Mary Falls to Emu Creek 70 species seen or heard

Albert's Lyrebird
Australasian Grebe
Australian King  Parrot
Australian Kestrel
Australian Raven (by strangling call)
Bar-shouldered Dove
Bell Miner
Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike
Black-fronted Plover
Black-shouldered Kite
Brown Gerygone
Brown Thornbill
Brown Treecreeper
Cockatiel
Common Myna
Common Starling
Crested Pigeon
Crimson Rosella
Double-barred Finch
Dusky Moorhen
Eastern Rosella
Eastern Spinebill
Eastern Whipbird
Fairy Martin
Fantailed Cuckoo
Galah
Golden Whistler
Grey Butcherbird
Grey Fantail
Grey Shrike-Thrush
Grey Teal
Jacky Winter
Kookaburra
Lewin's Honeyeater
Little Corella
Little Pied Cormorant
Magpie
Magpie Lark
Masked Lapwing
Mistletoebird
Musk Lorikeet
Noisy Miner
Pacific Black Duck
Pale-headed Rosella
Pelican
Pied Butcherbird
Pied Cormorant
Pied Currawong
Red-browed Finch
Rufous Whistler
Scarlet Honeyeater
Speckled Warbler
Spotted Pardalote
Straw-necked Ibis
Striated Pardalote
Striated Thornbill
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Superb Fairy-Wren
Torresian Crow
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Weebill
Welcome Swallow
White-browed Scrubwren
White-faced Heron
White-naped Honeyeater
White-throated Treecreeper
White-winged Chough
Willy Wagtail
Wood Duck
Yellow Thornbill
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Yellow-rumped Thornbill

3. Queen Mary Falls to Swan Ck to Cunningham Hwy, 73 species seen or heard

Australian King  Parrot
Australian Kestrel
Bar-shouldered Dove
Bell Miner