birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters at Quorrobolong NSW

To: <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeaters at Quorrobolong NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 20:22:01 +1000
Hi Birders,

The Central Coast Group of Birding NSW held their monthly outing today, on the weekend of the National Regent Honeyeater and Swift Parrot Winter Survey, in the Quorrobolong District of the lower Hunter Valley near Cessnock. The day was fine and sunny, 26 members and friends were assembled at Freemans Waterhole and at 845 we headed for Sandy Creek Rd Quorrobolong. Our first stop was at the usual bushland site where we had plenty of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Grey Fantails, Buff-rumped & Striated Thornbills, Golden Whistlers, Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Miners to check out!.

We then soon left the main road and drove slowly along Whiting Lane looking for Grey-crowned Babblers, Blue-faced Honeyeaters and Red-rumpbed Parrots, those common woodland birds that just don't occur nearby on the Central Coast. We found all three although the BFHE took some time to locate. We then headed for a private property at the base of the Watagan Mountains which contains some good quality Box Ironbark woodland, and where three years ago to the day, we had found 4 Regent Honeyeaters. Between 26 July & 19 August 2000 we then estimated 63 Regent Honeyeater and c. 20 Swift Parrots were present on the property and 6 Regents were caught & colour-banded. No sooner had we alighted from the vehicles and John Carpenter and myself both announced that we could hear REGENT HONEYEATERS calling. All in all on this occasion we located 22+ Regents.feeding mainly on nectar from a few flowering trees, one each Spotted Gum, Red Stringybark & Grey Box. We spent an hour on site and had good views of Little Lorikeets, Fuscous, Yellow-tufted, White-naped, Yellow-faced & White-cheeked Honeyeaters, Crested Shrike-tits and both Spotted & Striated Pardalotes.

We reluctantly departed and moved onto another private property "Oakleigh", Quarrabolong. Here we had lunch and watched Sea-eagles, Brown Goshawk, squabbling Red-rumped Parrots and Eastern Rosellas while we ate. After lunch we spent about 2 hours checking out the bush birds here which included Grey-crowned Babblers, Striped Honeyeater, Double-barred and Goldfinches, Brown Falcon, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Yellow & Yellow-rumped Thornbills. We finished the day at Ellalong Lagoon where there were about 12 active Black Swan nests, 12 Shovelers, and the usual waterbirds and a lone Kestrel. A great days birding with great company.

Alan Morris