birding-aus

collecting birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: collecting birds
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:04:55 +0930
Hi All,
 Following my earlier announcement about the shooting and collection of the Yellow Chat I have had a lot of responses, most of which you have seen since they were posted on b-a. Most responses supported my moral indignation at the act, but a few others who were less critical, basing their initial responses on their scientific professionalism, have since concurred that this was poor science and a pointless and unnecessary killing..
I am of course compiling a dossier of these mailings and intend to use them in approaches to the South Australian Ornithological Association, of which the collector is a life member, in an attempt to have the collector severely admonished.  I will try to do this by way of placing a notice in the Association's quarterly newsletter, that is, if they will publish it.  Hopefully this disapproval will lead to at least a reduction, if not a total cessation, of such activities.  My fear is though that the Association will close ranks, protect their long standing member, and not pursue the matter in a way which might reduce the possibility of repetition .  I am not at all sure how the general membership might respond, the vast majority of them not being subscribers to b-a and therefore not being aware of this week's discussion.  My initial approaches to the president of the Association a couple of weeks ago met with what I rated as a cool reception. A groundswell from the body of the membership would shift this if it can be obtained.

Having said above that I have already received a lot of mail in this matter, I hasten to add that if there are still more people who would like to comment , then please do so, the more comment I can get the better. I intend keeping the dossier open for a further week or so.  In the meantime thank you to all who have contributed so far, I appreciate your support. If anyone would like to address comments directly to the president, hopefully with cc to me, I can supply the email address on request.

Tony Russell.