birding-aus

Corvid Roosts

Subject: Corvid Roosts
From: (by way of Hugo Phillipps <>)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:23:28 +1000
Hi everybody -

A friend of mine, Dr Darryl Jones from Griffith University, is working on a paper on Torresian Crow roosts in Brisbane. One feature of Torresian Crows is that they will use traditional roost sites for long periods, where considerable numbers of crows roost communally. Darryl's question was whether other Australian corvids roost communally at traditional roosts.

I have frequently observed Little Ravens gathering near dusk at a suburban shopping centre in Melbourne, prior to going to roost. My feeling is that these birds (often 30+ birds) are most likely to be roosting together if they gather near dusk at the same place, night after night. Because they seem to gather at the same site prior to going to roost, I am led to suspect that they are also using the same roost site. Because I observe this pre-roosting gathering behaviour from the bus as it passes the shopping centre, I have not yet determined exactly where the roost is.

I am not sure how one defines "traditional", but I would be interested in any observations of Little Ravens roosting in numbers, particularly at the same sites over a period.

Many thanks,
Ian

Ian Temby, 1999 Churchill Fellow
Wildlife Damage Control Officer
Flora & Fauna Program, Port Phillip Region
Department of Sustainability and Environment
30 Prospect Street
BOX HILL, VIC 3128
AUSTRALIA
Phone 613 9296 4636