birding-aus

White-bellied Sea-Eagle

To: "Paul Hackett" <>
Subject: White-bellied Sea-Eagle
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:06:10 +1000

Hi Paul,

I also saw the White Bellied Sea Eagle on Saturday. What a majestic bird! A lifer for me. I think it must have been shortly after you saw it, since i saw your entry in the diary in the bird hide, and the circumstances matched perfectly.

I was driving along the northern edge of Lake Borrie (between Lake Borrie and Little River), and it was sitting in the reeds on the edge of the lake. When my car approached, it took off and headed over towards the conservation lagoons. I decided to have a look at Paradise Lagoon for the Glossy Ibis, and then returned to the same spot shortly after to see if it had returned for the meal it must had left behind.  When i got to the same spot, a swamp harrier took off from the exact same spot as the Sea Eagle, only this time, with a Eurasion Coot in its claws!!! Looks like the swampy got its revenge.

Peter

"Paul Hackett" <>
Sent by:

26/07/2003 08:10 PM

<>
cc
Subject
[BIRDING-AUS] White-bellied Sea-Eagle

Hi Everyone,
I was at the Western Treatment Plant at Werribee today and saw a
White-bellied Sea-Eagle flying low over Lake Borrie. The bird suddenly dived
into some reeds on the the side of the lake and after a short but heated
argument with 3 Swamp Harriers, took flight with the Harrier's lunch (a
Eurasian Coot) and landed on a nearby nesting box to eat it.
Another bird of interest today was a Black Falcon, near the main sewerage
drain, on Farm Road app. 1km south of the administration buildings.

Cheers, Paul.

Paul Hackett
Melbourne
Australia