birding-aus

Forest Kingfishers?

To: <>
Subject: Forest Kingfishers?
From: "Jo Wieneke" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:48:51 +1000

A few years ago Forest Kingfishers were common around Townsville especially in winter. They were frequently seen perching on powerlines along the road between Townsville and Cairns, often near cane fields. They were one of those common birds that you tend to take for granted.

On a recent drive to Cairns and back last month I saw none. Last weekend on my way to the Tableland I noted just one bird near Cardwell. South of Townsville along Reedbeds Road, Giru, at this time of year there were often up to 8 birds in and near near the patch of melaleucas at the southern end. Last Friday we saw none. I mentioned this to Brian Venables who is up on Cape York at present and he also commented that they had not been around his place at Cape Weymouth.

Has anyone else noted a decrease? Has it been happening for several years and now that there are so few it’s become apparent? Are they another casualty of the drought? Has anyone else noted an increase?

Jo Wieneke