birding-aus

Cuberland BOC Outing to Long Reef & Warriewood Wetalnds, Sydney

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Cuberland BOC Outing to Long Reef & Warriewood Wetalnds, Sydney
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:29:48 +1000
28 people met at Anzac Avenue, Collaroy, to bird at Long Reef yesterday. Walking up the headland were many Red Wattlebirds and one or two Little Wattlebirds as well as a few New Holland Honeyeaters, no Lorrikeets though despite the flowering Banksia Integrafloria. unfortunately we had missed the low tide by about two hours so couldn't get out to the edge of the reef, we did have some good views of Black Browed Albatross and there were many  Fluttering Shearwaters heading south. One brief view was had of a Prion sp. and there were a number of Gannets. On the rocks were a couple of White Fronted Terns with the Crested Terns and perhaps 3 Grey Tailed Tattlers, as well as 20 - 30 Red Necked Stints, at least 4 Sooty Oystercatchers, 4 or 5 Ruddy Turnstones, and some people spotted the Double Banded Plovers. The male Nankeen Kestrel was very confiding on the return to the cars and several birders would have got some excellent photos.
Morning tea was enjoyed at the picnic area at Warriewood Wetlands before taking the boardwalk into the wetlands itself. The best bird here was a male Rose Robin which gave excellent views. We observed many of the Tasmanian race of Silvereyes as well as some of the locals and most people would have had good views of some of the little brown jobs, in this case Brown Gerigones, Brown Thornbills and Yellow Thornbills. We also had excellent views of a White Cheeked Honeyeater. Whipbirds could be heard but not seen.

After lunch at the same spot we headed off to Deep Creek and were rewarded with excellent views of a Pair of Tawny Frogmouths, another Rose Robin, a White Bellied Sea Eagle, a Peregrine Falcon, an immature female? Rufous Whistler and a Crimson Rosella and Eastern Rosella that appeared to be an "item". We also had an excellent view of a bathing Golden Whistler (does this make us voyeurs?) and several groups (or one group several times) of Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos were an obvious presence.

All up for the day we saw or heard 73 species.

Happy Birding.

--
John Reidy
Sydney