birding-aus

Raptors and their prey

To: <>
Subject: Raptors and their prey
From: "Rob Drummond" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:39:22 +1000
Hi all,

This discussion re raptoes and their victims reminds me of two episodes.
- A Wedge-tailed Eagle at East baines River in the western Northern territory tackling a brolga and bringing it to the ground with the much associated squawking on the brolga's part.  Unfortunately it came to ground on the other side of the river.
- A Powerful Owl taking a Twany Frogmouth at the Wingan Inlet (eastern Gippsland) campground.  We heard some scranbling noises in the tree above our tent.  Assuming it was a glider we got the spotlight only to see the owl with the frogmouth firmly clamped in its talons.  The frogmouth had two fluffy young in the next tree.

cheers Rob