birding-aus

Unusual foster relationships in the avian kingdom

To: <>
Subject: Unusual foster relationships in the avian kingdom
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:19:32 +1000
Recenly, I have seen some unusual fostering relationships by a few saparate species on a couple of different documentaries:

1) On a very interesting documnetary series which ended last Sat. on the ABC (it ran over a few weeks between 6:30 -7 pm but I did not get the name of it as I missed the beginning on most occassions) showed a European Robin helping to feed a family of Song Thrushes (or was it vice versa!)

2) On a video series I watched called "Hunters of the Sky" (a superb 6 part video series on all the Australian Raptors) where a Black-breasted Buzzard was helping the Kestrel parents feed its chicks (one would think that the Kestrel was going to fall prey to the Buzzard).

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced any unual fostering relationships like the above?

Edwin Vella