birding-aus

Hardwick OR Hardwicke ?

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Hardwick OR Hardwicke ?
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:54:32 +1000
G'day all,
1
Murray Lord has pointed out an apparent Hanzab error that I missed.
Latham's Snipe, states J. E.Gray 1931.
This should be 1831?

Also the Hanzab index for Latham's Snipe is wrong. It is page 29, not 21.

How I wish Hanzab would have a Web Page to list errors, correction or additions
as does Clements Birds of the World: A Checklist
with  http://www.ibispub.com/updates.html

2
I should have added that Bright Sparks has NO entry for Hardwick(e)

3
I should have wrote Charles Hardwick was born Lincoln, England, 2/8/1878, NOT 1978
My transcription error.

4
I have been sent an OCRd copy from the THE CYCLOPEDIA OF TASMANIA. 1900
for CHARLES BROWNE HARDWICKE  a naval man 2/8/1978 - 1880 but no mention of Ornithology

3
Murray Lord also referred to John Penhallurick's database www.worldbirdinfo.net
Wow ! My first serious look at it. Lots of good stuff, but no help in this example.
However a G.R.(not J.E.) Gray, is also also quoted

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.